Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

The last few summers, my brother and sister-in-law have generously shared their kids with my parents and with me. To maintain my perennial nomination for Aunt of the Year, I try to schedule "Camp Carrot" activities like swimming (well, dunking them, really), crafting, and watching movies. This year, we branched out, and I interviewed my oldest niece and nephew about their current favorite book.

Today, I'm posting my interview with Natalie, about a book series she REALLY likes--The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson.


Natalie modge podges
paper to a washer.
(Is modge podge a verb?)
Aunt Carrot:   What is your first name?

My brilliant niece: Natalie

AC:   How old are you?

Mbn: 10 years old

AC:   What do you do for a living?

Mbn: I go to school.  I’m in fifth grade this year.

AC:   What is the name of the book you want to talk about?

Mbn: Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark

AC: Who wrote that book?

Mbn: Ridley Pearson

AC: What are the major things that happen in the book? (Except, don’t give away any surprises!)

Mbn: A group of kids work as DHIs (Disney Host Interactives or Daylight Holographic Images) during the day at Magic Kingdom and then “cross over” after they fall asleep.  When they cross over, they try to stop the Overtakers, the bad people who want to rule the world, starting with Magic Kingdom. It’s going to be confusing in the beginning, but don’t worry.  It gets better.

These five teenagers (Finn, Philby, Maybeck, Willa, and Charlene) notice unusual human characteristics in some of the people that they meet that are clues about the Overtakers . . . if they look closely.  There are lots of surprises in this exciting story (and a little bit of suspense.)

AC:   What was your favorite part of the book?

Mbn: I like the very end where everyone is dressed up like a cast member, and they break a certain spell.  If I say any more about this spell, you’ll be confused and I might give away the ending.

AC:   Did you like the book? Why?
Mbn: I liked this book because it was a break from the realistic fiction that I normally read. Also, it’s about Disney which is one of my favorite places, and I get to learn things about Disney. (It’s sorta like a behind-the-scenes look.)

AC:   Who else do you think would share your opinion?
Mbn: Anyone would like this book, but especially people who really like Disney and know the attractions.  Also, people who like fantasy books.


Natalie says "read this book!"
(And all the others in the series!)

1 comment: